Lafrentz manufactures and installs two types of durable road markings: System 300 Thermoplastic and System 400 Cold Plastic.
These materials form the basis of all surface, inlaid, safety and profiled markings Lafrentz installs across British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan. These materials, as well as other Lafrentz road marking materials, are available for purchase online.
SYSTEM 300 THERMOPLASTIC
System 300 Thermoplastic is a highly durable plastic roadmarking material. It can be applied to the surface of the roadway or inlaid into the asphalt, and can be used for longitudinal or transverse markings. Due to its durability, Lafrentz uses System 300 Thermoplastic as the base for SNO-PRO profiled road markings, which offer additional wet / night visibility and skid resistance.
Manufactured by Lafrentz Road Marking, System 300 Thermoplastic creates a strong hydrocarbon bond to the oil in the asphalt. Because a hydrocarbon bond is required, application is best on fresh, non-oxidized asphalt. Application on old asphalt is possible, however it must first be milled to expose non-oxidized layers.
System 300 Thermoplastic is very durable, and was specially designed for extra durability in inlaid road markings.
Inlaid road markings can be flush with the road surface, or 1-3 mm above, and can withstand extreme weather and snowplow blades.
Features of System 300 Thermoplastic
- High durability for surface and inlaid applications
- Maintenance cycle of 3-5 years (surface markings), and 6+ years (inlaid markings)
- Highly retro-reflective
- Used as the base for SnoPro profiled markings
- Inlaid markings can be applied in temperatures as low as 0°C
- Available in white or yellow
- Good for longitudinal and transverse markings
SYSTEM 400 COLD PLASTIC
System 400 Cold Plastic is a flexible, UV-stable, ISO-certified methyl methacrylate (MMA) durable road marking material.
This cost-effective solution has no Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) emissions and can be applied to new and aged asphalt as well as concrete.
Lafrentz also uses System 400 Cold Plastic as the base for Pathfinder profiled markings, which provide additional safety in the dark and poor weather conditions.
Manufactured by Lafrentz Road Marking, System 400 Cold Plastic uses a chemical catalyst to create a strong bond to the aggregate in the road surface. Helping to extend the construction season in Canada’s cold climate, System 400 can be applied at lower temperatures than thermoplastic (as low as 0°C). The plastic is extruded in liquid form, with glass beads included in the mix and applied the surface for additional retro-reflectivity. The average maintenance schedule is 10 times longer than paint, and when repairs are necessary it can be overlaid on a previous System 400 Cold Plastic application to provide monolithic repairs (avoiding the need for complete line removal and reapplication).
System 400 is fast-curing, meaning roadways can be opened to traffic soon after application. The plastic is usually ready for traffic in under one hour.
Features of System 400 Cold Plastic
- Very durable
- Can be applied to asphalt (new or aged) and concrete
- Most cost-effective durable road marking product
- Completely UV-stable with no VOC emissions
- Flexible and solvent-free Maintains a smooth surface
- 10x more durable than paint (on average)
- Can be applied in temperatures as low as 0°C
- Highly retro-reflectiveGood for longitudinal and transverse markings
- Used as the base for Pathfinder profiled markings
- Can be overlaid for easy maintenance
- Limited installation equipment required